Friday, January 4, 2013

WHAT KIND OF FOOL AM I?

Some thoughts about why I love my husband


Not long ago, some commenters on our blog stated that our story seems like it's all so peachy and rosie or something like that.  I replied that we certainly didn't intend for it to appear that way, and that we were actually very determined to tell the whole truth, along with all the heartache, misery, dysfunction, and pain.  Yes, alot of our life story IS all about the hell we somehow lived through to ultimately find the happiness and peace we are experiencing now.

So, as we have been working on a new post entitled "Who Hurts Worse",and  writing ALOT about the bad times, the selfishness, etc.  (that's why it's taking so long - cause there's alot of  'crap' to tell), I have been thinking alot about the question that I know many of our readers legitimately have - "Why in the world did I stay?"

The answer to that question can be understood with 'some' consideration of who 'I' am, but more so, as we explore the character of  'the man', and learn more about him.

I am thinking that, hopefully, anyone reading this blog has figured out that I am an intelligent and confident woman.   I was a single mother for several years (another twist to our story); I have some college education; I have managed and ran two of my own businesses;  I have had several quite important jobs, with alot of stress and responsibility for many years;  but ultimately,  and gratefully, I eventually took control of my life and molded it into a career that I absolutely loved, far from the "business' world, and into a wonderful opportunity of doing fun stuff that I love, sharing of myself, and serving others, the needy, the community, and God.   Anyway, I'm no dummy - OK  ;) :)

Our readers must have also discovered that our daughters, Jr. IDefineMe and Eldest IDefineMe, are no dummies either.  Clearly these young woman (in their early 30's 'approximately') are very intelligent, intuitive, and wise, possibly beyond their years.  Our beautiful daughters have each established wonderful, successful, and rewarding lives for themselves.  They each have their own talents and abilities, and are unique in many awesome ways.  But one thing they absolutely have in common is their ability to love unconditionaly, accept all people, and freely forgive.  They each happen to have some differing views on religion and the gospel, but they both have very real and special personal relationships with God, that they have each established through their own individual research, study, thoughtfullness and prayer.  And, last - but certainly not least - they each love and support Mr. IDM & I completely and with such commitment, compassion and love that there are no words to describe our love for, and gratitude to, them.

So, in consideration of  'us girls', our combined intelligence & instincts, and the fact that we so deeply love and support 'our guy', it must be clear to any intelligent and thoughtful person to see that 'he' (Mr. IDefineMe) must be ONE HECK OF A SPECIAL AND AMAZING MAN.   - Yep, he sincerely is  :D.

Wish you all could get to know him as we do.  Let me tell you a little about my husband,... my kids Dad, ... our Heavenly Father's child.

*He is genuinely humble and sweet (but sometimes hides that part of himself with a certain 'roughness' - that we can usually see right through - shhhh,  don't tell him we know the truth ;)

*He loves the Lord and believes 100%, without question or pause, in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  He served an LDS mission and still loves sharing the messages of the gospel to anyone interested to hear.  (He does not, however, say a whole lot about it around the house, or to family, or 'preach' to anyone in any way)

*He prays faithfully morning and night, and probably often throughout the day.  He reads the scriptures daily (usually at night, for a little while from his bed) - he does this because he wants to and believes it brings him strength and peace - not because he feels he HAS TO.   He doesn't quote scriptures much, but the words he quotes sometimes lately is where the Lord says something like, "my sheep shall hear my voice" (sorry, I don't know the exact reference - somebody help me ;)

*He is a wonderful and loving husband.  He is thoughtful and romantic.  He is very compassionate towards me and is very patient and caring as I often deal with a couple of miserable health problems.  He supports me as I mold my life and clearly gets great satisfaction when I am happy.  I've already told alot on here about our personal/romantic relationship, so I will just say that "it's beautiful, completely fulfilling, and amazing".   I know he loves me for 'me', heart & soul, and I know that he thinks I'm beautiful and 'sexy'.  Our love and communication just seems to grow and get better every day.  He doesn't take our relationship for granted, after all we've been through, we know what great effort it takes to build a wonderful marriage/relationship as ours.

*He is an amazing father and grandpa. He would, without hesitation, take a bullet for anyone of his children or grandchildren. And, when ever questioned about his choice of lifestyle, by those on this blog, he responds to us with thoughts of his family and how his desire to someday have 'this exact family' was always a major factor in steering him towards the life he truly wished for and desperately wanted for himself. He just somehow 'knew' that we were all meant to BE.

*He loves  his parents deeply, and although they did not raise him with much talk of God in their home (as a matter of fact, there was actually alot of swearing and taking of God's name in vain), but he is not affected or phased by this lack of spirituality, and he remains true to his beliefs, while never allowing himself to be bothered by their differences, and he never judges their beliefs or way of life. Although drinking alcohol and swearing are two things that are usually frowned upon by 'Mormons", he is completely comfortable around a good share of his family members who, for them, it's a way of life.   He has great respect for his parents, who are darn good, hard working people, who have taught him honesty and respect, and who have sacrificed much for their children, and have stayed married, and committed to their family,  through some terribly difficult times.

*He absolutely never thinks he is better than anyone else, as a matter of fact, he has great understanding and compassion for ALL people, and seems to feel comfortable in most any setting or culture.  He literally travels all over the world for a living and usually ends up making great friends and acquaintances along his way.   Although he is cautious in relationships because of his 'secret', he is definitely not shy, and is probably more outgoing, adventureous, and approachable than many men (gay or straight) that I know.

*He has some great friendships, and some 'interesting' (and even unusual) friendships as well.  People just seem to be drawn to him, although he is far from politically correct, quite rough around the edges, and makes no excuses for his shortcomings & weaknesses.  He is pretty much, what you see is what you get, EXCEPT ONE BIG SECRET, and that truth about himself he protects with every fiber of his being, and has no desire to openly share this information about his same sex attraction with anyone.  (except all of you - our blog readers ;)

*He is an extremely hard worker, and is always happiest when he is busy and working hard.  He has usually always managed to have an "extra" job on the side (sometimes two), and he is often found helping friends and neighbors, giving of himself (for free - expecting no reward), and he is usually completely willing to do my honey-do's (when he's actually home - lol) and he has been known to do alot of my friends honey-do's as well (when he hears complaints that their husbands are dragging their feet - he say's "heck, let's just get it done!")

*He is wonderfully comfortable and a natural with babies and children.  He was very much a hands on helper with our babies/toddlers, etc.  and YES - he changed diapers as well.  (Not as many as me.....of course! lol)  He will cuddle and kiss any baby he can get his hands on, and it doesn't matter if they have a dirty face or a snotty nose - he'll just clean em up and kiss on em some more.  BTW - the feeling is usually mutual, they love him too.

*He has been, and often still is, a father figure (or grandfather figure) to friends, neighbors, and family members who are 'in need' of such a man in their lives.   Some whose father's are deceased,  or not engaged in their lives, or just  'absent' in one way or another.  He has a special place in his heart for the lonely, misunderstood, and/or struggling youth.

*He loves music - all kinds of music - and his ipod is filled with  a diverse collection that could almost rival any music store.  He has an awesome singing voice, that he is a quite selfish with I think.  The only time we get to hear him sing is when he is asked to sing at a family wedding or funeral and he just can't turn down the request - although he usually struggles desperately to prepare and is never happy with his performance in the end.    Trust me, however, it's ALWAYS wonderfully great.  I love to hear him sing.  He sang to me on our first date ;)

*Well, this list could continue on for quite some time, but I think I'll stop here for now.....

SO, - I hope you can see why I stayed through thick and thin, and even endured some horrible years when 'this man' WAS NOT exhibiting all these wonderful character traits at that time.  And, as you will read in our next post, (when we tell of the selfishness, dysfuntion, and heartache), you might think that Mr. IDefineMe seems to have been a completely different man - back then.  But, the truth is, that throughout those years, he was still this great man as described above, it's just that the 'good' and the 'bad' was all rolled into one.   For our family, the sparks of his kindness and goodness and love were still felt and experienced amidst the anger, depression,  dysfuntion, and pain, and I (and my kids) always knew that THE PROS FAR OUTWEIGHED THE CONS. 

What is so interesting and is such an important message from this story, is that how clearly, when Mr. IDM was acting out on his sexual attractions, exploring the gay lifestyle, and satisfying his compelling desires, --he was often miserable, onry,  discouraged, depressed, uninvolved in the family, irritable, obsessive, absent, short fused, intolerant, inpatient, insensitive, selfish, and even mean.  

However, after he took control of his actions, learned to manage his desires, turned away from that life and towards a life closer to his beliefs in God - (in that he started praying, reading scriptures, attending church meetings, and abstaining from obsessive homosexual thoughts and masterbation to homosexual fantasies) his countenance completely changed, and he clearly had found a sense of peace.  He was then, happier, healthier, kinder, more patient,  selfless, compassionate, caring,  easy going, agreeable, fun, funny, thoughtful,  genuinely repentant, lovable, humble, and spiritual in a way that we had never truly seen him before.  What a blessing - what a miracle - WHAT AN AMAZING MAN. (ps - he's not gonna approve of me singin his praises like this, but the truth just has to be told)

It's been a great trial for all involved as this man has evolved, and we, none of us, are perfect either, but we have always believed in him, and have felt his great spirit as he has molded himself, with much faith in God, and proved to himself (and us).... "I DEFINE ME".






10 comments:

  1. Hi IDM,

    Based on your post, I'd like Mr to befriend my Dad and teach him what he knows! No...seriously....I'll set up play dates and everything!

    I've never idolized, or really looked up to, my Dad so it is sometimes very hard to even wrap my head around the ability and willingness to forgive something like this (as a daughter). Don't get me wrong, I love my Dad and think he has a good heart, but he was never a role model or someone to turn to for guidance.

    Your next posts will be very interesting and hopefully helpful to me in expanding that understanding - from the perspective a daughter who leans more towards protecting her mother than in having an equal respect of her parents - if that makes sense.

    Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing with us - to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Tammy :) It is sad, if I understand what you're saying about your relationship with your Dad, that you never really looked up to him, etc. Great though, that you do have love for him and some positivity in your relationship.

    My dad is gone now, and I sure miss him. I was very blessed to have a really great relationship with him. We could just sit and talk forever about anything. I think I get my love of writing from him as he wrote quite faithfully in journals and had some really amazing experiences that we're so glad he recorded in writing.

    Dad is one of the people who knew about Mr. IDM's 'secret', and he loved him unconditionally, and treated him with much respect. I remember during the conversation where I told him about what I had just learned about my husband, after 10 yrs of marriage, I know that he was very sad, and worried for me, etc. but he was not angry (at least he never let me see it), and he was immediately reassuring me that everything would work out and that he believed, since we were planning to stay together, that we could make it work.

    I sure love and miss my dad. Hope you and your dad can grow a little closer somehow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mrs IDM,
    I just want to say that I understand you. Sometimes there are things to fight for, even though it might be very hard at times. Our thinking is not like everybody elses at times, so we can't expect all to understand us, just as we can not understand everybody elses coises always. But we can hope that all could at least respect each other.
    If we only looked to what IS we would all be in trouble! Good for us that we are being teached to see each other as we CAN be, we all need that. And like you describe, sometimes our real selves are hidden and it takes faith for both ourselves and others to think that we can change.
    I wish you all everything good and I'm sure you will have all your greatest hopes fulfilled, you are sure on the right road! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica - thanks for your comments. Your understanding is sure appreciated as is your vote of confidence and kind words. Hope you will continue to follow our story....it's gonna get really good ;) :)

      Delete
  4. Hey! I am so brilliant! I just reread the blog explanation at the bottom and realized it rhymes! Was that your awesome man's idea? Love it! Thanks for being you- both of you :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Suz :) - (mr. IDM here). Actually I can't take the credit for that, my wife wrote it and I really love it because it captures my life in a nutshell. Throughout our marriage Mrs. IDM has written some really great poems, some serious, and some funny. Since the beginning of our relationship we were writing letters while I was on a mission, she has continued to write letters to me throughout our marriage. Sometimes that was the only way she could get through to me when I was being a jerk. Even when I was in trouble, what I called a rip letter, I was always touched and finished reading it with more love for her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great. For many (myself included), there is another soul level that is reached with the written word that can be difficult face to face, though I'm sure this continuity of the written word can actually facilitate easier live conversations. I melt when I read my husband's sincere and sometimes silly notes/letters to me. It reminds me how well he really does know me when this is often what I will stubbornly refuse to believe- that anyone REALLY knows me. I think I need to write more to him and then perhaps we could bridge some of the chasms still there. Here's to the nurturing of love and understanding via the mighty pen (and blog) :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed reading your "rip letter" comment. Is that ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol Suz - (mrs. here). I agree with your thoughts about the power of the written word. And yes, ok to laugh about the rip letters. To tell you the truth I think My husband has always called those types of letters 'rip' letters because in them he's getting 'ripped' (told off or chewed out), but I had never thought about it until now, that it could also mean, he feels like 'ripping' that letter to shreds! lol Well, I'm gonna ask him when he gets home tonight. ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone needs a good "ripping" every so often! I actually was thinking of it as a R.est I.n P.eace letter! But really , the ability to humbly listen to and be called out for the pain you cause another Is as important as the ability to speak up for your feelings when you feel betrayed and taken for granted. I often hurt the ones I truly love the most:( and I'm so grateful for second, third and 70 times 7 chances.

    ReplyDelete